Levitra general information
Levitra tablets 20mg are used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men, which is inability to achieve or maintain a hard erect penis suitable for sexual activity, due to insufficient blood flow into the penis. Levitra tablets 20mg relax the blood vessels in the penis increasing blood flow and causing an erection, which is the natural response to sexual stimulation. However, Levitra tablets 20mg will only work if you are sexually aroused.
What is Levitra used for?
Levitra tablets 20mg contain vardenafil which acts on the erectile tissue of the penis to increase blood flow to cause an erection. During sexual stimulation nitric oxide is released in the erectile tissue of the penis which activates the enzyme guanylate cyclase. This enzyme increases levels of a chemical called cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), which relaxes the blood vessels in the penis and allows blood to fill the spongy erectile tissues to cause an erection. Another enzyme called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) breaks down cGMP preventing blood flow into the penis, which causes loss of an erection. Levitra tablets 20mg inhibit the action of PDE5 which resolves erectile dysfunction by allowing the natural process of sexual stimulation to activate the cGMP mechanism for achieving and maintaining an erection.
How does Levitra work?
Levitra tablets 20mg should be taken within an hour of planned sex and in most cases it helps you to get an erection in about 30 minutes that will last for around 4 hours, provided you are sexually aroused. Levitra tablets 20mg do not work if you are not aroused.
How long does Levitra last?
Levitra tablets 20mg contain the active ingredient vardenafil, which resolves erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men, by increasing blood flow into the penis. They also contain crospovidone, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal anhydrous silica, macrogol 400, hypromellose, titanium dioxide (CI77891), iron oxide yellow (CI77492), iron oxide red (CI77491).
What does Levitra contain?
Levitra tablets 20mg contain vardenafil, a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor, used to treat erectile dysfunction in men (impotence). When taken before planned sexual activity, Levitra tablets 20mg inhibit the breakdown (by the enzyme PDE5) of a chemical called cGMP, produced in the erectile tissue of the penis during sexual arousal, and this action allows blood flow into the penis causing an erection.
Treating erectile dysfunction (impotence) with Levitra
The most commonly reported side effects when taking Levitra tablets 20mg include, headache, dizziness or light-headedness, flushing, nasal congestion, dyspepsia (heartburn), nausea. Less common side effects include, visual disturbance, increased tear formation causing watery eyes, changes in blood pressure (hypo and hypertension), sleepiness, dyspnoea (shortness of breath), pain (in the back joints, abdomen).
What are the side effects of Levitra?
You should not use Levitra tablets 20mg if you:
When should Levitra not be used?
- are allergic to vardenafil or any ingredient in Levitra tablets 20mg
- are taking any nitrate medication, such as nitroglycerin for angina, as it may lead to a severe drop in blood pressure
- have liver or kidney disease
- have a condition where sexual intercourse inadvisable due to cardiovascular or heart problems or you have had a heart attack or stroke in the last 6 months
- have abnormally high or low blood pressure
- have an eye disease like non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy (NAION), which causes loss of vision, or if you have retinitis pigmentosa
- are taking medication that may interact with Levitra or may increase your risk for side-effects, including cimetidine for treating ulcers, antibiotics like erythromycin and rifampicin, verapamil or diltiazem (for high blood pressure), ritonavir or saquinavir (for HIV), itraconazole or ketaconazole (for fungal infections) alpha-blockers like terazosin, tamsulosin and prazosin for enlarged prostate
You should take one Levitra tablets 20mg with a glass of water approximately 25-60 minutes before sexual activity with or without food. The effect of Levitra tablets 20mg can last as long as 4-5 hours after taking your tablet. You should take no more than one tablet a day and only if you plan to have sex.
How should Levitra be taken?
You should only take a Levitra tablets 20mg when you plan to have sex; it is not intended as a regular medication.
Missed dose of Levitra
How should Levitra be stored?
You should keep your Levitra tablets 20mg in their blister pack until used and store in a cool, dry place where the temperature stays below 30°C.